Building Information Modeling benefits architects immensely. This advanced modeling software has completely changed the way that architects approach building design. We now have access to extremely powerful tools that enable us to create dynamic, streamlined structures that stand the test of time. HMC Architects strongly believes that Building Information Modeling benefits empower us to offer our clients more.
What is Building Information Modeling?
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a process that improves how architects and engineers design and construct buildings. With BIM authoring tools, architects can create a digital 3D model of the building, allowing them to see a representation of what it will look like and how it will operate. The 3D representation can include several pieces of information, data, that can be leveraged outside of the authoring tool, we refer to it as the “I” in BIM.
BIM also enables advanced workflow capabilities that augment the design process, from concept to the building’s completion. The data BIM develops through the project’s life cycle e can be leveraged to:
- Parametric relationships and model element dependency
- Computational design
- Space planning
- Energy analysis
- Light and daylight analysis
- Display complex spatial relationships
- Calculate the cost and number of required building materials
- Virtual conflict detection and resolution
- Extended Reality (ER) (such as virtual and augmented realities)And much more
BIM does more than just offer architects a glimpse at the building’s physical features. It’s a shared knowledge resource where architects and collaborators can store all of their ideas and make complex calculations on the fly. Modern architects are using this workflow to design high-performance buildings that are efficient and forward-thinking.
Building Information Modeling Benefits
One of the greatest benefits of BIM to the AECO industry is the collaboration it enables between designers, owners, and builders.
With the new innovative technology available to the industry, we have evolved from file exchange to live collaboration in the cloud. This means a single source of truth. We all share the same information and this improves our design and decision-making process immensely. It also enables our ability to deliver projects in new ways such as Integrated Project Delivery and Design Assist.
Before BIM, the architect and subcontractor would estimate how many materials they needed to complete the project and how much these materials would cost. Whenever the architect made changes to the design, someone had to do these calculations all over again, all this work was done in silos.
Before architects used BIM, there was also more room for human error. One small miscalculation could lead to massive complications which resulted in delays and unexpected costs. BIM software significantly reduces these problems by providing that single source of truth and making it available to all stakeholders.
This technology helps us produce the highest quality buildings for our clients across a number of industries. Here are additional Building Information Modeling benefits that we’re implementing:
- Faster Project Completion: It takes less time for us to design a building. This means that you can start the construction process earlier. Moreover, the design is a database That evolves over time and is leveraged to make more informed decisions earlier in the design process.
- Better Communication: Everything is shared and stored in a from a single point of truth. This means that all of the architects on the team can see the latest design and document their changes. It eliminates confusion. We can invite subcontractors and clients so that they can collaborate on the project. It enables us to work closely with specialists, like electrical engineers, even if they’re not able to meet with us in person. It also gives you, the client, more opportunities to share your ideas with us.
- More Detailed Visualization Tools: Architects can see the building in basic 3D dimensions like height, width, and depth. But BIM also enables us to view a building based on how long it will take to complete each element (4D) and how much it will cost at every stage (5D).
- Accurate Environmental Impact Analysis: BIM software can display a building in a sixth dimension, which is an analysis of the building’s environmental impact over time. This helps us find the most energy-efficient materials and most effective regenerative design features.
- Easier Building Management: Using BIM, we can observe the model in a seventh dimension called the life-cycle facility management view. This display shows anticipated operational costs for the building once it’s complete. This allows us to make wise design decisions that will lead to greater cost savings and simpler building maintenance for you in the future.
- Higher Quality Results: Because important designs are documented and calculated by an advanced process, there’s improved quality in the design and construction process. Contractors see where every element needs to go in order for the building to operate at peak efficiency.
- Lower Cost: Because the process takes less time to complete, you’ll pay for fewer total billable hours. Contractors are also identifying mistakes before construction starts, reducing mistakes during the construction process, minimizing the risk of unexpected repair costs later on. Additionally, you won’t waste money buying more materials than you’ll actually use. And you can get a faster return on investment when your project wraps up on time or even a little early.
- Instant Information Transfer: Once HMC Architects has completed the project, we can transfer important files to you and you can leverage BIM to effectively integrate a Facilities Management (FM) system of your new facility. You can use the FM to identify areas that need routine maintenance, order replacement materials in the right size or integrate the FM with a sensor system.
These are just a few Building Information Modeling benefits. BIM technology has a positive impact on nearly every step in the design, construction, and maintenance process. For this reason, use this process for every project, especially if you want to design a future-proof building.
Architects Use BIM to Make Truly Exceptional Buildings
These Business Information Modeling benefits are so significant that we are implementing these practices and workflows today. BIM is a powerful process that is enabling architects to think outside of the box and hone their craft. They can go beyond basic design principles and look deeply into the future of their designs.
At HMC Architects, we believe that every building should be the best it can be and continue to meet the needs of its occupants many decades from now. To achieve this goal, we use the most advanced and innovative technology available. By harnessing the power of BIM, we can design the most impressive buildings for our clients, helping them create buildings that have enduring legacies.
To find out more about how building information modeling benefits your project, contact HMC Architects today. Our firm fully embraces BIM technology and we strive to incorporate it in all of our projects. BIM can help us create the best high-performance buildings possible and we believe it will play an even greater role in the architecture of the future. If you have more questions about this state-of-the-art technology or want specific advice on whether it’s the best choice for your next project, you can also contact Nash Reyes, director of digital practice, directly.