The U.S. Department of Education this week announced 2021’s National Blue Ribbon Schools, recognizing 325 elementary and middle schools nationwide for their exemplary test performances or efforts to close achievement gaps between students.
California boasted the most Blue Ribbon Schools with a total of 28.
Facing one of the biggest crises of our lifetime, these schools rose to the challenge after being forced—almost overnight—to upend their professional way of life. In addition to designing PreK-12 schools for some of California’s largest districts, many of us at HMC are parents with school-age children and we are in awe of the steps our educators have taken in 2020 to ensure that kids continued receiving their education safely.
Created in 1982, the National Blue Ribbon School Program recognizes public, parochial, and private learning facilities from across the country, as nominated by the chief educational officers in each state (for public schools) or the Council for American Private Education (for private or parochial schools).
These recipients inspire optimism in our firm about the difference we can make together to reinforce our momentum towards safe, resilient learning environments that enhance student success, wellness, and community.
Congratulations to the following recognized schools:
- Anaheim Hills Elementary School // Orange Unified School District
- Aurelia Pennekamp Elementary School // Manhattan Beach Unified School District
- Balboa Gifted/High Ability Magnet Elementary School // Los Angeles Unified School District
- Burton Valley Elementary School // Lafayette School District
- Carmel Del Mar Elementary School // Del Mar Union School District
- Cerritos Elementary School // ABC Unified School District
- Challenger School – Berryessa (non-public)
- Chinese Immersion School at DeAvila // San Francisco Unified School District
- De Portola Elementary School // Saddleback Valley Unified School District
- T. J. Owens Gilroy Early College Academy // Gilroy Unified School District
- Elevate School // San Diego Unified School District
- Henry E. Huntington Middle School // San Marino Unified School District
- Hidden Trails Elementary School // Chino Valley Unified School District
- Los Alamitos Elementary School // Los Alamitos Unified School District
- Los Coyotes Elementary School // Centralia Elementary School District
- Maude B. Davis Elementary School // Newport-Mesa Unified School District
- Mountain View Elementary School // Goleta Union School District
- Oak Park High School // Oak Park Unified School District
- Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School // Fountain Valley School District
- Palm Crest Elementary School // La Cañada Unified School District
- Paradise Canyon Elementary School // La Cañada Unified School District
- Red Hawk Elementary School // Temecula Valley Unified School District
- Richard Henry Lee Elementary School// Los Alamitos Unified School District
- Ross Elementary School // Ross Elementary School District
- Saint Simon Parish School (Non-Public)
- Technology High School // Cotati-Rohnert Park Unified School District
- University High School // University High School District
- Valencia Elementary School // Upland Unified School District